Community During COVID-19
During this time of pandemic, Flower Mound UMC wants to be a source of God's grace, the hope of Jesus Christ, and the comfort of the Holy Spirit. We are here for you, whether to worship weekly, for a daily word of encouragement, or a connection with a prayer partner for support. Please read our revised schedule and opportunities below:
Staff & Office Hours
FMUMC's office will be closed for the following week (Mar. 16th - 23rd), but our staff will still be accessible by phone during our normal operating hours: 9am-4pm Monday - Thursday. If you need to be in contact with a staff person please use these numbers below:
- Church Office: 972.355.2711
- Office Administrator/Shari Smith: 101
- Pastor Alex: 102
- Pastor Taylor: 103
- Director of Operations/Brian Moshier: 106
- Finances/Marci Reed: 105
- Music Ministry/Jan Call: 104
- Sonshine Kids Preschool/Barbara Gant: 116
- Sonshine Kids Main Line: 214-513-1699
Join us online for either our 9:30am Modern Service & our 11:00am Traditional Service.
Don't forget to follow us online through our Facebook Page HERE
- Tune in at 9:30am or 11:00am Facebook Live
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to re-visit old sermons, messages, or public service announcements (great option for those who don't have FaceBook)
- Visit the tab on this website titled "Worship" for LiveWorship and previous Sunday archives.
You can also learn more about our online streaming at our streaming webpage HERE
At FMUMC we define discipleship at "the continual process of cultivating within us the very things Jesus embodied: namely love, mercy, compassion, and justice." HOW we do this in the midst of COVID-19 may look different, but WHY we do these things stems from our commitment to grow into Christ's likeness no matter what comes at us. In fact, it's arguably how we handle ourselves in the midst of life that makes such a difference!
Stay in Touch with Daily Devotionals
Each morning pastors and church leaders will be posting video devotionals on our YouTube page and sending them through a morning email. You can either subscribe to our YouTube page here. Or you can sign up for the daily email by contacting Shari Smith at .
Pastors Bible Study
On Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m. and Thursday mornings at 9:30 a.m., Pastor Alex leads a zoom call studying the Scripture for the upcoming Sunday worship service. This is a wonderful opportunity for in-depth Biblical study and requires no preparation to participate. All are invited! To receive the zoom call information, contact Rev. Alexandra Robinson at
Options to Still Meet with your Discipleship Groups
Classes, Sunday school and small groups are still meeting regularly through zoom. If you would like to connect with one of these options during this time virtually, please contact Pauline Henry.
Would you like someone to pray with during this time? Would you like to be of support for someone else? Prayer partners are simply that - a source of support and encouragement from persons going through similar challenges due to age and stage of life. Contact Rev. Alexandra Robinson at to become a prayer partner.
WEdnesday Coffee chat
At 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning, grab your coffee, tea or morning beverage of preference and get on zoom for this weekly check in! This is an informal time to share prayer concerns and joys, offer support and simply encourage one another! Pastor Alex leads us in this time where we answer the question "How is it with your soul?" Contact Shari Smith at for zoom call information.
- If you'd like to receive a pastoral care call, please click HERE (options to a call from a pastor or a lay member of our church's care team).
Be a Care Team Caller
We can still be connected even if not face to face. And as a family of faith, we want to be intentional about checking in with one another out of love and concern. If you're interested in assisting with FMUMC's care ministries here are a few avenues to get involved.
- Serve on our Care Calling Team HERE a simple phone call can make all the difference in the world. THIS guide can assist you with conversation.
- Write a card to those on our prayer list: email Jill Welke for a list of names and addresses
Our Christian responsibility to care for our most vulnerable population is enhanced in this time of Coronavirus outbreak. Here are some ways you can continue to be the church:
HANDS ON OPPORTUNITIES
Tapestry of Love Masks Make masks for our community! Anyone with a sewing machine, fabric or a will to help are invited! Bins are available at the church with pre-made materials to make your own as well. If you would like to make a mask to donate to the general community, follow the attached instructions here. Learn how to make a mask here.
If you would like to donate materials to be sewn by our team, please donate:
100% cotton fabric pre-washed or pre-wash 100% cotton shirts.
You can make a "mask" set by:
- Cutting cotton fabric into 4 rectangles measuring 7x9 inches
- Cutting t-shirts into 1 inch wide strips, stretching them and cutting into 15 inch long pieces.
- Place 4 fabric rectangles and 8 t-shirt strips into a ziploc baggie and drop off at the church in the bins by the office door.
Children’s Advocacy Center of Denton County https://cacdc.org/get-involved/wish-list/
Our Daily Bread https://www.ourdailybreaddenton.org/coronavirus-needs
Christian Community Action Contribution to FMUMC May Communion Offering for CCA Christian Community Action is also accepting volunteers to pick up and drop off food to those in need. https://www.ccahelps.org/give
Cumberland Presbyterian Children’s Home https://www.cpch.org
Denton County Friends of the Family https://www.dcfof.org
Grace Like Rain Ministries https://gracelikerainministries.org/partner/
Serve Denton https://www.servedenton.org/
First Refuge Food Pantry https://firstrefugeministries.org/give
Children & Youth
- Each week families receive a weekly devotional and resources. The weekly Scripture passage, family talking points, a prayer practice and "challenge" is offered. To sign up for this weekly devotional for families contact Shari Smith at
- On Sunday afternoon, children gather with their Sunday school teachers for a half hour to "check in" and share about their week and the results of their weekly "challenge."
Sunday Zoom check in times are as follows:
3:00-3:30- Kinder - 2nd grade
3:30-4:00 - 3rd-4th grade
4:00-4:30- 5th grade
Vacation Bible School
- June 22-26 is our annual Vacation Bible school
- This year we will be offering our VBS virtually and in small groups as required by the social distancing procedures of that time frame.
- Sign up begins the week of April 27th for ages completing PreK4 - 5th grade.
- Youth have a weekly Zoom call on Sunday nights at 5:00 p.m. for Junior High and 6:00 p.m. for Senior High.
- If you are interested in participating, please contact Stephanie Canales at .
- Youth are also writing weekly devotionals available to our youth only.
Sonshine Kids Preschool
Though our Sonshine Kids preschool is currently closed for this year due to COVID 19, teachers are providing online daily curriculum for students via video learning and zoom calls. Pick up of materials for home-schooling with your children is also available. If you are interested in registering your child for the Fall 2020-Spring 2021, please contact Barb Gant at .
You can tune in to Tuesday morning chapel on the Sonshine Kids YouTube channel here!