Community During COVID-19
Jesus calls us to care for the most vulnerable among us. Although we encourage "social distancing" (as per the CDC's recommendations) this page outlines the various ways we are exploring to creatively be in "spatial solidarity" with others while we consider how to still be the church. ***this page was last updated 3.18.2020
Staff & Office Hours
FMUMC's office will be closed for the following week (Mar. 16th - 23rd), but our staff will still be accessible by phone during our normal operating hours: 9am-4pm Monday - Thursday. If you need to be in contact with a staff person please use these numbers below:
- Church Office: 972.355.2711
- Office Administrator/Shari Smith: 101
- Pastor Alex: 102
- Pastor Taylor: 103
- Director of Operations/Brian Moshier: 106
- Finances/Marci Reed: 105
- Music Ministry/Jan Call: 104
- Sonshine Kids Preschool/Barbara Gant: 116
- Sonshine Kids Main Line: 214-513-1699
Join us online as we continue our Lenten Series The Burdens We Carry this Sunday, March 22nd. 9:30am Contemporary Service & an 11:00am Traditional Service. Additionally, tune into our Wednesday night Facebook Live events as we continue our Lenten Wednesday Night (online) community worship experience, Releasing Our Burdens. This, too will be held online through the same online avenues.
Sunday Morning Online Worship | "The Burdens We Carry"
Don't forget to follow us online through our Facebook Page HERE
- Tune in at 9:30am or 11:00am Facebook Live
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to re-visit old sermons, messages, or public service announcements (great option for those who don't have FaceBook)
Wednesday Night Worship | "Releasing Our Burdens"
- Tune into our FaceBook Live broadcast at 6:00pm this Wednesday
You can also learn more about our online streaming at our streaming webpage HERE
At FMUMC we define discipleship at "the continual process of cultivating within us the very things Jesus embodied: namely love, mercy, compassion, and justice." HOW we do this in the midst of COVID-19 may look different, but WHY we do these things stems from our commitment to grow into Christ's likeness no matter what comes at us. In fact, it's arguably how we handle ourselves in the midst of life that makes such a difference! Here are some creative ways we hope you'll consider practicing your discipleship while taking "social distancing" seriously.
Intentional Discipleship Relationships
Whether you're feeling anxious, experiencing a little cabin fever, require some creative ideas about how to keep your children active, or would simply like someone to pray with, consider signing up to be partnered with someone(s) through an Intentional Discipleship Relationship. Simply fill out the sign-up form below and Pastor Taylor will be in contact with you. For ideas about how to be in intentional relationships download the PDF .
- Sign Up for an Intentional Discipleship Relationship
- Click HERE to download a detailed description of how to do IDRs
Options to Still Meet with your Discipleship Groups
If your group would still like to meet, we highly recommend meeting online. Here are just a few options you can look into that allow multi user interface
- Zoom offers free video and phone conferencing for limited numbers. FMUMC also has a limited number of "host accounts" for discipleship group leaders. If you're interested in access to one of these, please contact Brian Moshier
- Google Hangouts is a great option if everyone has a google account already (may require chrome web browser)
- FaceTime is excellent for those with Macs or iPhones (supports up to 10 video callers)
- Email - good ole fashion emails never fail!
- Text - consider a text chain to stay regularly up to date with your groups
As you get creative, please share with us how you are virtually connecting with your groups!
Reading Lists (stay tuned)
- Book Club
Stay in Touch with Daily Devotionals
Each morning and evening, Pastor Alex will be posting very short scriptural devos. These are great for those of you considering an Intentional Discipleship Relationship, but we also hope you will consider them as talking points when you email, text, call, or write letters to your loved ones and neighbors. Her devotionals will be posted on our Facebook page HERE
- If you'd like to receive a pastoral care call, please click HERE (options to a call from a pastor or a lay member of our church's care team).
Be a Care Team Caller
We can still be connected even if not face to face. And as a family of faith, we want to be intentional about checking in with one another out of love and concern. If you're interested in assisting with FMUMC's care ministries here are a few avenues to get involved.
- Serve on our Care Calling Team HERE a simple phone call can make all the difference in the world. THIS guide can assist you with conversation.
- Write a card to those on our prayer list: email Jill Welke for a list of names and addresses
Our Christian responsibility to care for our most vulnerable population is enhanced in this time of Coronavirus outbreak. Here are some ways you can continue to be the church:
Many in our community who have jobs that have been impacted by business and retail shut downs will struggle financially. Please donate to our partner of Christian Community Action (CCA) to offer assistance for payment, specifically for rent & utilities HERE
- If you are NOT at high risk for COVID-19 due to age or underlying health condition, CCA is looking for a volunteer bread runners to pick up bread at the following locations and deliver back to CCA. If you would be interested in taking on this opportunity, please contact Trent Smith. Pick-up locations for break include:
Tom Thumb | 407 & Morris Rd. | Thr. 8-9am
Tom Thumb | 3040 & Valley Pkwy. | M, Tu., W. 8-9am
Kroger | 3040 & Gerault | M. & Fr. 8-9am
- Monsignor King (a homeless shelter in Denton) is in desperate need of supplies. They have run out of bottled water and are also in need of clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper. Additionally they have run out of all women’s and men’s underwear (S, M. L, and XL). Please deliver these items directly to 300 S Woodrow Ln, Denton, TX 76205
- Our Daily Bread is in desperate need of bottled water for clients. Please deliver directly to 300 West Oak St., Denton, Texas 76201
- 5th Sunday lunch in Lewisville – pending, please check back for details
- Laundry Love – pending, please check back for details
- Looking for mission activities to do together as a family? Check back here in a few days for special projects you can do at home to help others!
Children & Youth
- Group Me Link
- check in, write notes, devotional, etc.
Sonshine Kids Preschool
Let me start by saying thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate this path that has not yet been traveled. After many sleepless nights, recommendations of the CDC and the Texas Department of Health and Human Services (TDHHS), thoughtful consideration, discussions with Pastor Alex, and through much prayer, we have developed a plan for our preschool.
Please know that the Sonshine Kids and Flower Mound UMC staff are praying for you and working diligently to prepare creative learning opportunities to share with your children and you. To keep us all up to date following are the current highlights:
- Sonshine Kids will be extending our time off through at least April 3rd, returning on April 6th. This is in accordance with the Texas Department of Health and Human Services (TDHHS) guidelines and LISD. This step is out of an abundance of caution for the youngest in our community that I have come to this decision.
- Since recommendations on how to navigate with COVID-19 Virus is still very fluid, I will be monitoring what the CDC, Denton County Health, and LISD decide in the coming days and make updates accordingly.
- The CDC recommendation limiting gatherings for eight weeks is not currently a mandate for school. This may or may not become a mandate for schools in the near future. Whatever the outcome, the staff of Sonshine Kids is here for you as we partner together for the long term.
- Sonshine Kids staff will take next couple weeks to work on deep cleaning our school, prepare lesson plans for online experiences utilizing tools such as YouTube and Star Fall, and supplements that will be emailed home.
Together, let us trust our Lord with the future and our current circumstances. I know this is a stressful and painful time. Allow His peace to permeate our thoughts and actions. Lift each other up in prayer. Calmly use this catastrophic event to point people to our Savior. We cannot control the virus, nor how others choose to respond. However, more than anytime previously in my life, how we speak and act as believers expresses real faith or lack of belief.
Serving Him Together,
Director, Sonshine Kids School
3950 Bruton Orand Blvd.
Flower Mound, TX 75022